Tuesday, September 11, 2012

First Day of School

Wednesday was Ethan's first day of 4 year old preschool. He has the same teachers as last year (we LOVE Ms. Jen & Ms. Krista!) and some of the same classmates, too (along with a new classmate and cousin, Alex!) We are SO excited for the year ahead!

Ethan & Alex -- Ethan loves preschool. He does not love smiling for photos.
The kids wanted pictures of their backpacks :)


Audrey
 Audrey was SO ready for her first day of school. She got out her backpack, posed for pictures...she was ready!  I told tell her that it was Ethan's first day of school and that she would get to go to her class on Friday at MOPS, but she was convinced that she was going to preschool. When we dropped Ethan off and Audrey realized that she didn't get to stay, she was not pleased at all.  Mommy made it up to her with some Chick-Fil-A and she was a happy girl again :)

"Snack Helper"
One of the first things Ethan always tells me when I pick him up from school is what "job" he had that day.  Last year he LOVED being "calendar helper" and would choose that as his job whenever he could.  This year, on his first day, Ethan was "snack helper."

And because I LOVE good food and sharing recipes:

Tonight for dinner, we had Paleo fish sticks (my cookbook calls them "fish stick-o-licious") and let me tell you, they were yummy!

Paleo Fish Sticks

18 oz cod or catfish (I used Wild Caught Cod)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
2 large eggs
1 tbsp olive oil

1. Rinse fish and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut into 3- to 4-inch lengths. Try to make them all the same thickness.
2. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
3. In a medium bowl, combine coconut flour, garlic powder, and black pepper. Place the finely chopped nuts on a small plate and whisk the eggs in a medium bowl until they begin to froth.
4. Coat the fish in the flour mixture and pat to get rid of excess. Dip the floured fish into the egg and then into the chopped nuts. Press the fish into the nuts so they stick well on both sides.
5. Place strips on well-oiled baking sheet (I used coconut oil). Use the olive oil to drizzle on each and bake for about 20 minutes. They'll be golden brown and ready to go.

I served my fish sticks with veggies and they were delicious!  And because the baking sheet I chose was too small to hold all of the fish, I cooked the last 6 fish sticks in coconut oil on the stove.  Both were yummy, although next time I will just choose a bigger baking sheet ;)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. yay preschool!

    and I've actually been wanting fish sticks recently! but i won't let myself buy the frozen stuff. maybe i'll jump out of my grocery comfort zone and try these (coconut flour??)

    ReplyDelete